Make these high-protein, nutrient-dense Mexican quinoa bowls with sofritas for lunch or dinner! This quinoa bowl is vegan and gluten-free and is topped with sofritas, black beans, onions, tomatoes, and guac!
I’m pretty sure that my blog is turning into a quinoa bowl fan page. Honestly, if I could, I would probably eat quinoa bowls every day. I mean they are just so good!! Plus there are so many different ways to make them.
Welp, if you are looking for a delicious quinoa bowl recipe, you have come to the right place. Today I have this Mexican quinoa bowl recipe for you all today. It’s super easy and simple to put together but also super nutritious, high in protein, and gluten-free!
How to Make Mexican Quinoa Bowls with Sofritas:
Step One: Prepare the Quinoa
To make quinoa, you want to add 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water. The key to making quinoa is adding 1 cup of water to every 1/2 cup of dry quinoa. Then bring the water to a boil and then let simmer for about 15-20 more minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
Step Two: Prepare the Sofritas
Ahh the best part of this recipe is by far the sofritas!! I was inspired by the chipotle sofritas, but I have to say that these are better.
To make the sofritas, you’ll first want to crumble up one block of extra firm tofu. I just used my hands for this, but you could definitely use a food processor. Then heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan and then add in the tofu. Cook on medium heat. Then add in 1/2 cup taco sauce, 3 tbsp garlic powder, 3 tbsp chili powder, 3 tbsp onion powder, and 1 tsp salt. Mix together and cook tofu for about 10 minutes until well cooked.
Step Three: Add in the black beans
For the black beans, I just used one can of black beans and heated them on the stove for about 5 minutes. This helps to soften them and cook them a little more.
Step 4: Add in the tomatoes and onions.
Chop up one white onion and two roma tomatoes and add a little of each into the quinoa bowl!
Step 5: Add in the lettuce
For this recipe, I just chopped up about 2 cups of green lettuce and added it into the bowl!
Step 6: Prepare and add in the guacamole
I make my guacamole by mashing up one avocado and then adding in 1 tbsp lemon juice, dash of black pepper, dash of salt, onions, and a few tomatoes.
Top your quinoa bowl with any sauces or salsas you prefer and serve!!
Benefits of Quinoa:
Quinoa is a great grain to add to your daily diet. Not only is it gluten-free, but it is also a complete protein! This means that it contains all nine essential amino acids that our body needs.
Quinoa is rich in:
Quinoa is also rich in phytochemicals, which are compounds found in plants that provide additional health benefits to us. These phytochemicals often have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and disease-fighting properties.
Read more about the health benefits of quinoa here.
Looking For More Quinoa Bowls to Make? Try These:
- Sriracha Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowl
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Spicy Jackfruit Quinoa Bowl
- Thai Peanut Quinoa Bowl
Mexican Quinoa Bowl with Sofritas
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 pack extra firm tofu
- 1 can black beans
- 1 white onion
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 cups green lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Add 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups water to a pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and let quinoa cook until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Crumble up one pack of extra firm tofu. You can either use your hands or use a food procesor. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a saucepan and then add in the tofu. Add in the taco sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Cook on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes while continously stirring.
- In a saucepan, add in one can of black beans. Cook in boiling water for about 5 minutes to soften.
- Chop up the onions, tomatoes, and lettuce. Set aside.
- Slice the avocado and then mash up into a bowl. Add in 1 tbsp lemon juice, dash of black pepper, dash of salt, onions, and tomatoes to make the guacamole if you wish!
- In a medium bowl, add in the quinoa, black beans, sofritas, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and guac. Top with your favorite sauce or salsa and serve!