These vegan and gluten-free spicy sweet potato and black bean veggie burgers are loaded with protein and perfect for any weekday meal! Add these to your weekly meal plan for a switch to your regular burger or test these out for a meatless Monday!
Veggie burgers are a huge staple in my house. I swear, we eat veggie burgers at least twice a week. Typically we cook the store-bought frozen kind (which are still super delicious) and pair them with some yummy toppings. Making veggie burgers can be a hard task, especially when they don’t hold together very well. All the times in the past that I’ve tested veggie burger recipes, they’ve always fallen apart or didn’t have enough flavor. However, I think I’ve finally got it right. The secret? Lot’s of hot sauce and long baking time.
There are two kinds of veggie burgers: the ones that are firm and resemble meaty burgers and true veggie burgers that are softer but equally delicious. The thing about veggie burgers that you have to get used to is the texture. These burgers hold together well but have a soft texture. They remind me a lot of the veggie burgers you get at restaurants.
How to Make these Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Veggie Burgers:
The key to making these burgers is in how you cook and combine the sweet potatoes and black beans. First, peel the sweet potatoes. Then boil the sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes or until they are just soft enough to stab with a fork. It’s important that you don’t overcook the burgers as they will be too soft and the burgers won’t hold together as well. Then, you’ll want to soften the black beans. If using canned, I typically boil them for about 5 minutes to soften. In a small bowl, mix 3 tbsp chickpea flour with 3 tbsp water. This is what will help to bind the burgers.
Add the sweet potatoes and black beans into a large bowl and mash together until it forms a thick consistency. Then add in the chickpea flour mixture and diced onion. Mix in about 1/4 cup buffalo sauce, 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp onion powder, and 1 tbsp paprika. Form the mixture into about 1 inch thick patties. Then spray a baking tray with olive oil and place the patties on the baking sheet. Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes, flip, and then bake for another 25 minutes.
You can use any other beans for this recipe. Chickpeas and kidney beans would also work great!
You can use 1 tbsp flaxseed + 3 tbsp water as a substitute for the chickpea flour. The consistency might be a little different, but it should still help to bind the burgers!
Store these spicy sweet potato and black bean veggie burgers in an airtight container for up to a week. You can also freeze and reheat!
Liked this Recipe? Try making these next!
- Spicy Sriracha Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Sriracha Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowl
- Spicy Jackfruit and Black Bean Taquitos
Save this Recipe to Pinterest!
Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix 3 tbsp chickpea flour with 3 tbsp water. Set aside.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Then boil the sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes or until they are just soft enough to stab with a fork. Avoid over cooking, as you don't want the sweet potatoes to be too soft or else the burgers won't hold together.
- Once sweet potatoes are done cooking, boil the canned black beans for about 5 minutes to soften.
- Then in a medium bowl, mash the sweet potatoes and black beans together.
- Chop up the onion into small dices, and add that into the bowl. Mix well.
- Add in the chickpea flour mixture, buffalo sauce, olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic, and onion powder.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil. Then form the sweet potato mixture into 6 1-inch thick patties. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flip, then bake for another 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!