This vegan caramelized onion and mushroom naan bread pizza is rich in flavor and a super easy meal to put together. It is made with a delicious caramelized onion and garlic spread and topped with caramelized onions and mushrooms, making it the perfect twist on your classic pizza.
Naan bread pizza is such an easy meal to put together and tastes just as god as regular pizza! You can typically buy naan bread for pretty cheap in a pack of 4. The size of the naan bread makes it perfect for a personal pizza and it crisps up really well in the oven.
I love using the Stonefire Naan Bread but you can pretty much any kind of naan bread in any local grocery store.
How to Make Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Naan Bread Pizza
How to Caramelize Onions
I always thought that caramelizing onions was a difficult and tedious process, but it’s really not. I learned the best way to do it in my food science class last year and since then I absolutely love caramelizing onions.
The trick is to use a low-medium heat and to give the onions enough time to cook. First, you’ll want to chop two white onions into thin slices. The thinner the onion is the quicker they will caramelize. Then, you’ll want to add about two tablespoons of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil to a pan. Heat on medium heat and allow the butter and olive oil to melt before adding in the onions.
The trick to making perfect caramelized onions is to let them sit without stirring for about 5-8 minutes. Then flip over and allow them to do the same for another 3-4 minutes. You don’t need to continuously stir or else they won’t caramelize. Once the onions are browned and soft, turn off the heat and set aside.
How to Make the Caramelized Onion Spread
Instead of using traditional pizza sauce for this recipe, I made a caramelized onion spread. This added a sweet onion flavor to the base of the pizza, which made it perfect to pair with the mushrooms and other caramelized onions.
- 1 white onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground basil
- salt and pepper to taste
For this recipe, you’ll want to combine half of the caramelized onions (about one white onion) with the garlic, basil, salt, and pepper into a food processor or blender. Blend until a smooth, creamy paste. This will be the base of your pizza.
Making the Pizza
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. If you want your naan bread extra crispy, bake it on its own for about 4-5 minutes. Then pull out and add the toppings.
Spread the caramelized onion and garlic spread all over the naan bread. Then add a layer of sliced mushrooms and top with the rest of the caramelized onions. Lastly, add spinach, arugula, or any other toppings that you would prefer.
Like this Recipe? Try Making Some of These Next:
- Easy Vegan Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
- Sriracha BBQ Cauliflower Wings
- Vegan Flatbread Pizza with Cashew Ricotta
Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Naan Bread Pizza
- 2 naan flatbreads
- 2 white onions
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp basil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Chop two large onions into thin slices. The thinner you slice them the easier they will caramelize.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter and the olive oil on medium heat until melted. Then add in the chopped onions and cover with a lid.
- Allow the onions to sit without stirring for about 5-8 minutes. Then stir and flip and allow to sit for another 5 minutes. Cook until the onions are brown then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add half of the caramelized onions to a food processor or blender with the garlic and basil. Then blend until its a smooth paste.
- Spread the caramelized onion and garlic spread onto each of the naan bread. Then top with mushrooms, the rest of the caramelized onions, and spinach.
- Serve and enjoy!