Make this Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta for your next dinner! This cheesy and delicious butternut squash pasta sauce recipe is perfect for the fall months and colder weather!
Trust me when I say, the world has been lying to you. You can not only 100% make vegan substitutes for your favorite foods, but you can make substitutes that taste way better. I am a pasta lover to my core. If I could eat spaghetti, pasta, gnocchi, etc every day for the rest of my life, I would. It’s so simple and so cozy and just tastes amazing. It’s not always the healthiest option, as it’s loaded with processed/ refined carbs and has very little nutritional value.
I’m not gonna lie to you though, although this creamy butternut squash pasta recipe is delicious, it isn’t mac-and-cheese. I want to remain honest to my core, and so I’m not going to lie to you all and say that this is a magical substitute for mac-and-cheese. When I think of mac and cheese, I think of creamy, gooey, sauce WITH cheese (or at least a vegan cheese). There are some amazing vegan mac and cheese recipes out there though that are super delicious and I will definitely make one myself in the future. This butternut squash recipe, however, is perfect if you want a comforting, delicious, bowl of pasta with a yummy sauce. It’s also the perfect fall recipe and is filled with a ton of veggies, herbs, and spices.
The trick in this is to combine butternut squash and potatoes together and adding a little bit of spice. Where does the creaminess come from you may ask? Cashews. Cashews are a lifesaver in the vegan world. Add them to any sauce recipe to my it super creamy. Nutritional yeast is also a must in your vegan pantry. It gives a cheesy taste to any recipe that you add it to. It’s also something that I add to everything. Sauces, salads, bowls, etc. You name it, the nooch is there.
Butternut Squash Cheesy Pasta
- July 17, 2019
- 60 min
- Print this
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped gold potatoes
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup soy milk (may need more)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 450 and soak the cashews in boiling water for 30 mins.
- Step 2
- Chop up the butternut squash, potatoes, and onion. Line a baking tray with the squash, potatoes, onion, carrots, and garlic and cover in olive oil. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until slightly crispy.
- Step 3
- In a saucepan, boil water and add in the elbow macaroni and cook until soft.
- Step 4
- In a blender, combine the roasted veggies, nutritional yeast, cashews, soy milk, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and blend until creamy.
- Step 5
- Add the sauce into the saucepan with the macaroni and mix until fully combined. Serve and enjoy xx