Look outside, see the sun, feel the scorching humidity, summer is here!! And tagging along with summer are barbecues and sandwiches and lots of parties. Well,I am going to share with you one amazing meatless recipe that you can bring to any cookout, party, or summer event.
Not going to lie, jackfruit is a weird food. It’s a fruit. It doesn’t taste like much. And you can cook it like meat. Literally, guys its magic. The first time I made jackfruit, I was so taken aback by the texture and how much flavor it absorbed. It looks like shredded chicken and it tastes like shredded chicken.
I love pairing it with barbecue sauce to make BBQ shredded “meat” that can be added to lettuce wraps, tacos, and sandwiches. Its super simple to cook and super cheap if you buy the canned version. It has absolutely no flavor at all, which makes it the perfect food for absorbing different flavors. Try it out with any of your favorite marinades and you will be just as shocked as I was.
Tip: make sure you buy your canned jackfruit in marinade or water, not syrup. The syrup sweetens the fruit and makes it hard to add to savory meals.
BBQ Shredded Jackfruit
- July 17, 2019
- 45 min
- Print this
- 2 20 ounce cans of jackfruit (I use the kind from Trader Joe's, drained
- 1 1/2 cups Barbecue sauce
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Step 1
- Slice the jackfruit into small pieces. Set aside.
- Step 2
- Add the onion into a medium-sized saucepan and saute with a little bit of oil or water until slightly browned.
- Step 3
- Add in the jackfruit, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and a dash of water. Cook on low to medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until softened.
- Step 4
- Add in the barbecue sauce and stir until the jackfruit is completely covered.
- Step 5
- Serve on lettuce wraps, salad, tacos, or sandwich buns.