Switch up your dinners with this easy black bean burger recipe. This recipe is packed with protein, takes less than 30 minutes to make, and is super delicious! Combine with your favorite bun and toppings and pair with a side of sweet potato fries for the best dinner combo!
I love veggie burgers, like behind sweet potatoes, they are probably my favorite thing to make. I typically just buy the pre-made frozen ones but was recently tempted to make my own from scratch. I have to say, for it being my first time, it turned out pretty dang good! Like any bean burger that you would probably get in a restaurant, it was tricky to keep it from falling apart. My trick was to cook it with a little coconut oil on both sides until it started to get pretty brown (not burnt).
For the beans, I just used simple canned beans that I rinsed before mashing. The nice part about this recipe is that it uses ingredients that you probably already have just laying around.
Spicy Black Bean Burger
- 1 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced white onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 flax egg
- In a bowl, mash the rinsed black beans with a fork or potato masher.
- Add in the garlic, onion, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and flax egg. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour in a little coconut or olive oil to a medium saucepan. Take a handful of the bean mixture and press it into a patty shape. Place the burger on the saucepan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until slightly brown and crispy.
- Repeat for the other burgers.
My first time eating or making bean burgers of any kind. They are amazing! We topped with avocado and taco sauce, lettuce tomato and onion. I used taco sauce in place of catsup in the mixture. Leftovers were amazing as well. Topped with cheddar, red onion, romaine and barbecue sauce. Flavors in burger was even better! Will definitely make again.
Aw yay I’m so glad you liked them! Next time tag me in a photo on instagram – I would love to see! Also, love the idea of using taco sauce! I’ll have to try that next time 🙂